Custom Search

Tuesday 23 September 2008

How about that weather

It is truly astounding how Saturday was winter, and Sunday was Summer; just like that the season changed. It was a splendid Sunday. First day I actually swam at the beach in weeks (months?), first day in a long while that I was able to really lay on the driveway dripping salty water, and just dry out by baking in the sun without getting cold. It's something I've really missed: the heat. But now it's back, right? Hooray.


We move forward a mere dozen hours, and it's Monday. No longer am I chillaxing at the beach, I now find myself in town, lurking about the concrete jungle. The morning was a splendid warm one, but by about 11:00AM, it was getting hot. By about 2:30, I was pouring liquid nitrogen over my face, neck, wrists and ears to keep cool. (We got a tank of it from the vets.) Sweet relief.


Driving home on Monday afternoon the weather was just perfect. A nice baking heat, the sun setting behind us, a warm breeze circulating through the car, really nice, adjective-obsessed-author-writing-Bradbury-Dandelion-Wine-style-narrative stuff. Within the space of less than two minutes, this weather was gone, and replaced with unrelenting rain and a gale force cross wind. I was quite aware that the car tires were fairly balding, so I sat at about 50kms on the highway. It's amazing how quickly the weather can turn on you.


This afternoon, just as I got off the bus and was walking home, a friendly neighbor was looking for her kids who'd wandered off despite her best efforts to keep them penned up in order to keep them away from the construction site at the end of the street. Just as I headed up the driveway, Rory headed past on his way to the beach (with boardies in his bag). I went in, threw on some boardies, grabbed a towel, jumped on the bike, and headed along down. Just as I arrived, it began to rain. Only lightly, but it was getting cold. "No guts no glory" he proclaimed, and we headed in to the surf.


I must say, I don't see the point in beaching on sunny days any longer. We had the beach to ourselves (just how I like it), with the exception of Betty, who was jogging by and decided to join us for a brief 10 minute splash. Sitting at home, after a nice hot shower, with a mug of soup and a hot bread roll, in front of the heater; I'm one happy camper.


But enough about the weather.


Today was our 3rd last day, so we organised for a photographer to come, so we could get one last photo. Liv, Sam and I, amongst a few others, wore suits. There were a few interesting outfits: Hulagirls, schoolgirls, bogans, a doctor, Hermoine Granger, Dracula, a lifeguard, and so on and so forth. But one piece of attire (or should I say "onepiece attire') that stood out above all others: Rhys, who come along in a relatively mundane dressing gown (which he intended to wear until the last minute). Beneath his modest gown, lurked his mankini. Which he wore with a strange misplaced pride. Photos of said outfit are sure to circulate through myspace for aeons, ensuring he never attains any serious employment. For your sake, I've chosen not to post those pics here.


P.S. Just to keep you posted, I still have no power (It went out on Sunday afternoon). I have about 15 appliances in here, all running off the one faulty extension lead.

That's more or less it for now, I have some stuff to do, but will surely post again soon.

1 comment: